The processing period may take 2-3 months. During the processing period you cannot inquire about the status of your application. Upon expiry of the processing period only the applicant, his/her legal representative or persons holding an authorization letter from the applicant may inquire about the status of the visas.
The fee is 75,00 €, payable in USD cash only. Please bring small USD bills. The application form can be downloaded for free.
Please bring the following documents in the mentioned order to your appointment at the Embassy. Additional documents may in some cases be requested. Documents sent in advance will not be archived.
Complete the online application form (application forms are required for each applicant separately; all children require separate forms).
Bring one signed copy of the form including the barcodes to your appointment.
A valid passport signed by the holder, issued within the last 10 years and valid for at least one year is necessary. The passport needs to have at least 2 subsequent blank pages. Please bring one photocopy of the passport biodata page to your appointment.
1 fully biometric passport photo, 35 x 45 mm, no older than three months. Digitally altered passport photos cannot be accepted. Please ensure that your photo adheres to German biometric requirements and is taken in front of a white/bright background.
Non-Zimbabweans - please bring your valid Zimbabwean residence permit and 1 photocopy to your appointment.
- Researchers: Original of the hosting agreement (“Aufnahmevereinbarung”), needs to be signed by both parties. For any salary paid the actual amount must be indicated, plus 1 copy.
- Visiting academics funded through employment: 1 copy of the Employer’s declaration (“Erklärung zum Beschäftigungsverhältnis”) completed by the hosting Institution
- Visiting academics funded through scholarship: Confirmation by hosting institution and confirmation of scholarship (1 copy each)
- Self-funded visiting academics: Confirmation by hosting institution
Evidence of sufficient funds minimum EUR 947 for each month of stay, (2022 requirement, subject to change). Options below may be combined, provided that the total requirement is being met:
- blocked account
- OR formal commitment (“Verpflichtungserklärung”) by sponsor resident in Germany
- Confirmation of health insurance cover in line with the level of statutory German public health insurance (“gesetzliche Kankenversicherung”).
Book an appointment
Please use our online appointment booking system
Booking via telephone or email is not possible. At the appointment, you will submit all required documents and pay the visa processing fee. You will be interviewed with regard to your planned stay in Germany and your biometric data (passport photograph and fingerprints) will be collected.