A student visa may also be granted to individuals undertaking a preparatory language course in advance of their university studies.
In general, students holding a visa or residence permit are permitted to work part-time to support themselves, up to 120 days or 240 half-days per year. This limit does not apply to academic employment (“studentische Nebentätigkeiten”). Students at a preparatory college (“Studienkolleg”) may not work during their first year of residence, except during holidays.
Upon successful completion of their studies at a German university, students may be granted an additional residence permit of up to 18 months to find suitable employment.
The processing period may take 2-3 months. Usually the period will take approximatly 4 weeks. During the processing period you cannot inquire about the status of your application. Upon expiry of the processing period only the applicant, his/her legal representative or persons holding an authorization letter from the applicant may inquire about the status of the visas.
The fee is 75,00 €, payable in USD cash only. Please bring small USD bills. The application form can be downloaded for free.
Please bring the following documents in the mentioned order to your appointment at the Embassy. Additional documents may in some cases be requested. Documents sent in advance will not be archived.
Complete the online application form (application forms are required for each applicant separately; all children require separate forms).
Bring one signed copy of the form including the barcodes to your appointment.
A valid passport signed by the holder, issued within the last 10 years and valid for at least one year is necessary. The passport needs to have at least 2 subsequent blank pages. Please bring one photocopy of the passport biodata page to your appointment.
1 fully biometric passport photo, 35 x 45 mm, no older than three months. Digitally altered passport photos cannot be accepted. Please ensure that your photo adheres to German biometric requirements and is taken in front of a white/bright background.
Non-Zimbabweans - please bring your valid Zimbabwean residence permit and 1 photocopy to your appointment.
Evidence of admission to university/exchange semester/degree course/PhD program
- Undergraduate and graduate students taking a full degree course at a German university: 1 copy of the German university admission letter (“Zulassungsbescheid”)
- PhD students: 1 copy of letter of acceptance from German academic supervisor
Plus (if university requires PhD students to be formally enrolled): 1 copy of confirmation of admission.
- Evidence of sufficient funds minimum EUR 934 for each month of stay, (valid as of 1 August 2022, subject to change). Options below may be combined, provided that the total requirement is being met. Please note that NO alternative evidence of funds is acceptable.
- Blocked account
- OR evidence of scholarship
- OR formal commitment (“Verpflichtungserklärung”) by sponsor resident in Germany
- Professional/academic curriculum vitae (1 copy).
- if not otherwise specified and lectures are being held in German, proof of German language level of at least B1/B2 is mandatory, please confirm with competent university)
- otherwise a confirmation from the university that the lectures will be held in the English language and proof of English language knowledge (e.g. TOEFL/IELTS)
- Why do you want to study in Germany? What are your career plans for the future?
Plus 1 copy of your final school certificate.
Confirmation of health insurance cover in line with the level of statutory German public health insurance (“gesetzliche Krankenversicherung”).
Book an appointment
Please use our online appointment booking system
Booking via telephone or email is not possible. At the appointment, you will submit all required documents and pay the visa processing fee. You will be interviewed with regard to your planned stay in Germany and your biometric data (passport photograph and fingerprints) will be collected.